What do you need to live a meaningful, enriched and happy retirement life? For most people, it’s a combination of features. A maintenance-free and accessible home. Healthy and delicious food. Supportive friends that share your stories. Activities to keep you engaged. Fitness classes to remain in shape. Safety, security and a helping hand with daily tasks.
While all of these are essential for living your best life, there are two additional elements that are also influential: connection and purpose.
Why is connection key for aging well?
Social connections are essential for health, especially later in life, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The good news is that although physical, sensory and cognitive function naturally declines, social functioning can create a positive response throughout life. Social well-being can promote good mental health whereas social isolation is often tied to a reduced quality of life and impaired health, as well as loneliness and depression.
The link between having a purpose and quality of life
A purpose in life reflects the goals one has chosen and the determination to pursue them, according to the NIH. When we have a purpose, it can also motivate us as we grow older to achieve the desired outcome. There is motivation for adopting healthy behaviors, such as maintaining a better diet or exercise routine. That is why a purpose in life is often seen as the cornerstone for successful aging.
Retirement in the Wadsworth and Waukegan area: finding connection and purpose
If you’re deciding to create your best retirement life in the Wadsworth or Waukegan area, you’ll be happy to know there are many opportunities to meaningfully connect and experience your purpose. Take a look at the following possibilities:
Volunteer opportunities in the Wadsworth and Waukegan area
- Star Hospice: serving terminally ill patients and their families to improve quality of life as well as provide support and assistance.
- Catholic Charities: provides a comprehensive range of social services for basic human needs for individuals, families, children and seniors.
- Praying Single Mothers: enhances the lives of single mothers through partnering and mentor relationships.
Religious organizations in the Wadsworth and Waukegan area
- Cornerstone Community Church in Wadsworth
- Saint Marks Evangelical Lutheran Church in Wadsworth
- St. Brigid Parish Catholic Church in Wadsworth
- Kingdom Life Ministries in Waukegan
- Christian Neighbors Church in Waukegan
- Rehoboth Church of God in Waukegan
- Wesley Free Methodist Church in Waukegan
- Waukegan Community Church in Waukegan
- Most Blessed Trinity Catholic Church in Waukegan
- Antioch Baptist Church in Waukegan
Finding connection and purpose at Galloway Senior Living in Wadsworth
If you’re looking for opportunities to connect and find purpose in your retirement, Galloway Senior Living can help. Not only will you enjoy the maintenance-free and activity-filled lifestyle, but a great opportunity to meet and begin forming lifelong friendships with the other residents.
We understand that older adults often experience loss and that it can become more difficult to meet new people and make friends. At Galloway Senior Living, you or a loved one will be happy to discover how much there is in common with the other residents and how they look out for each other. It’s easy to meet at any of our many activities, social events or even crossing paths in our common areas.
We also support our residents in volunteering or giving back to the community. Research has shown that engagement among older adults can lead to better physical and mental health, reduce stress and increase positive feelings – and lower rates of depression and anxiety. We can assist anyone who is looking for ways to connect or develop their purpose in life.
Retirement living in Wadsworth, Illinois
Galloway Senior Living, locally owned and operated, provides luxury and quality care for families in our community.
Assisted Living at Galloway Senior Living offers beautiful and contemporary private residences that range from alcove studios to two-bedrooms and include high-end stainless-steel appliances, maple hardwood cabinets, cultured marble countertops and thoughtfully curated décor and colors.
Our Memory Care community offers a family kitchen, dining room, walking garden, and lounge.
Our services include:
- 24-hour certified nursing assistants, on-staff licensed nurses, medication management, and on-site physician visits
- COVID-19 safety protocols
- Assistance with daily tasks
- Readily available safe transportation
- A fall-reduction program
- In-unit emergency response systems including an electronic monitoring system for exit doors
- On-site entertainment and activities personalized to reflect the residents’ preferences
- Housekeeping and linen services including personal laundry
Amenities you’ll find at Galloway Senior Living include:
- Country Café and Convenience Store
- Salon and Spa
- Theater with 85” television
- Activity and Craft Center
- Game Room
- Library and Business Center
- Fitness Center
If you or your family is considering retirement living in Wadsworth, Illinois, we hope you will visit our community at Galloway Senior Living. We are a trusted resource and are here to answer any questions.
We also invite you to download our complimentary information, Family Decision Toolkit: How to Choose the Right Senior Living Community.