If you’re helping your older parents to decide the best way to receive needed help while still ensuring they live independent lives, an assisted living community might be the best solution.
There are several benefits to community life, including accessible, age-friendly homes, the convenience of maintenance-free living, and the availability of healthy meals. It’s easy to see how these advantages could encourage your loved ones to achieve their desired lifestyle.
But your family will also want to consider how best to help your older parents improve their quality of life as this can directly impact both physical and emotional health.
Defining quality of life
What is quality of life? It can be defined differently for each individual but there are also similar features that seem to land on everyone’s lists. The National Institute of Health describes the quality of life concept as the well-being of an individual that can include:
- Personal health
- Work environment
- Social status
- Sense of security and safety
- Autonomy in decision-making
- Social belonging and physical surroundings
For older adults, however, many of these features can become more of a challenge. There can be health issues that include the development of chronic conditions, loss of family members and friends, becoming lonely and socially isolated and experiencing an increase in anxiety regarding safety and security.
It’s important to find the best solutions to increase positive influences. An assisted living community can often provide the services and care to help eliminate the common causes that lower quality of life for older adults.
Assisted living and quality of life
While the features considered most important can be different for each individual, there are many similar characteristics. Take a look at a few of the services and elements offered at assisted living communities:
- accessible residences
- healthy dining
- laundry services
- safety and security features
- daily assistance with basic tasks
Communities can also greatly support their residents to achieve a higher quality of life with these services and amenities:
1. A home environment that supports independent living.
Accessible private residences promote independent living. Encouraging personalization of the space makes it the resident’s true home and creates a safe haven.
2. Remaining self-reliant and autonomous in decision making.
Growing older shouldn’t require forfeiting independence. Residents make their own decisions based on preferences and abilities, while being supported daily to age well.
3. Engaging activities and social events.
Having access to activities of interest and the ability to participate is a major contributor to not only aging well but creating quality experiences.
4. Opportunities to make new friends and nurture relationships.
While it can become more difficult to meet new people and older adults may experience the loss of others, assisted living offers several opportunities to meet fellow residents who share similar interests.
5. Physical and mental health.
Support is received to maintain a wellness routine that focuses on both physical and mental health. Residents enjoy the added motivation and camaraderie when they exercise and interact with others.
6. Opportunities to meet wellness goals.
Eating healthy and participating in social events both contribute to the ability to age and live well. Communities help residents set their individual goals – and achieve them.
7. Feelings of reassurance and safety.
Anxiety can increase when older, particularly if worried about becoming injured or ill and not having access to help. It’s reassuring to know at an assisted living community, you’re never truly alone.
Retirement living in Wadsworth, Illinois
Galloway Senior Living, locally owned and operated, provides luxury and quality care for families in our community.
Assisted Living at Galloway Senior Living offers beautiful and contemporary private residences that range from alcove studios to two-bedrooms and include high-end stainless-steel appliances, maple hardwood cabinets, cultured marble countertops and thoughtfully curated décor and colors.
Our Memory Care community offers a family kitchen, dining room, walking garden, and lounge.
Our services include:
- 24-hour certified nursing assistants, on-staff licensed nurses, medication management, and on-site physician visits
- COVID-19 safety protocols
- Assistance with daily tasks
- Readily available safe transportation
- A fall-reduction program
- In-unit emergency response systems including an electronic monitoring system for exit doors
- On-site entertainment and activities personalized to reflect the residents’ preferences
- Housekeeping and linen services including personal laundry
Amenities you’ll find at Galloway Senior Living include:
- Country Café and Convenience Store
- Salon and Spa
- Theater with 85” television
- Activity and Craft Center
- Game Room
- Library and Business Center
- Fitness Center
If you or your family is considering retirement living in Wadsworth, Illinois, we hope you will visit our community at Galloway Senior Living. We are a trusted resource and are here to answer any questions.
We also invite you to download our complimentary information, Family Decision Toolkit: How to Choose the Right Senior Living Community.