Planning and preparing meals can become more of a challenge as we grow older. The same can be said for maintaining a home, keeping up with laundry and safely bathing.
If you or a loved one is beginning to struggle with a few of life’s daily tasks, you may be looking to the future with an element of uncertainty and asking how you will be able to manage.
However, it’s important to realize there are options that can make the day easier and support a high-quality life.
Imagining a typical day for senior living residents will illustrate the advantages but may also find you wishing you would have made the choice earlier to create your new home in a community.
How senior living residents might spend their day
One of the great benefits of senior living is that it’s about choice – and they are all up to the residents to make. Compare your daily routine with the following to discover which option might be the best choice for you.
1. When is it time to wake up? Whenever it suits a senior living resident. Some are early-risers while others enjoy sleeping in. There may be days when you’re ready to jump out of bed or those you will linger under the covers.
In senior living, it’s nice to know you won’t have to wake up at the same time as the other residents in order to dress and report for breakfast. You’ll begin your day just as you always have – with the freedom to match your mood.
2. Could you use a helping hand? Another benefit of a senior living community is knowing that help is always available. Do you need a little assistance with dressing or grooming? Would you like help to shower or have someone accompany you to the dining room? You’ll discover feeling even more independent when you’re a senior living resident and don’t need to rely on family or friends.
3. Enjoy a delicious breakfast: What was your morning breakfast routine before you moved into the assisted living community? You can have the same one as a senior living resident. Are you in the mood for only coffee and a roll? Or do you like to start your day with a full and hearty meal? Perhaps you enjoy reading the paper while you dine or visit with friends?
4. Ready for a little exercise: You know how important it is to stay active and in shape. But it might have become more difficult in your previous home to get to a gym or find classes tailored for older adults.
The convenience of community life couldn’t make staying fit any easier. You can walk over to the fitness center or class from your residence. And if you exercise with others to minimize falls or to strengthen your muscles, not only will it be more fun, but you’ll enjoy the benefits of socialization as well.
5. Joining your friends for lunch: You may decide to enjoy a lighter option such as soup and salad or something with a little more substance but it’s also a great time to meet up with friends. Although the food is nutritious – and delicious – you really enjoy catching up with the others while making plans for later.
6. Quiet time back at home: As a senior living resident, you may enjoy a little respite from the day’s activities and look forward to a nap after lunch or a chance to watch a favorite television show or read a few more chapters in your book.
Maybe this is when you call your children and grandchildren or friends that live across town – or the country – so you can hear all the latest news.
7. Engaging in activities: Assisted living is about much more than playing bingo. Maybe you’ll discover your passion for watercolors and love spending time in the art studio. Or discussing the latest novel or historical fiction with your new book club group.
Senior living offers many activities and amenities and there is something for everyone. The community takes care of the planning – all you need to do is choose from the monthly calendar – and possibly wish there were more hours in the day to try everything.
8. Dinner and a movie: What a perfect way to end the day…dinner and a movie. Or maybe there’s dancing instead. You’ll love the opportunity to eat healthy and delicious food but also not having to shop and prepare the meals.
The entertainment or social events offered are something senior living residents look forward to as they end the day with a smile on their face, knowing how happy they are that they chose a senior living community as their home.
Retirement living in Waukegan, Illinois
Galloway Senior Living, locally owned and operated, provides luxury and quality care for families in our community.
Assisted Living at Galloway Senior Living offers beautiful and contemporary private residences that range from alcove studios to two-bedrooms and include high-end stainless-steel appliances, maple hardwood cabinets, cultured marble countertops and thoughtfully curated décor and colors.
Our Memory Care community offers a family kitchen, dining room, walking garden, and lounge.
Our services include:
- 24-hour certified nursing assistants, on-staff licensed nurses, medication management, and on-site physician visits
- COVID-19 safety protocols
- Assistance with daily tasks
- Readily available safe transportation
- A fall-reduction program
- In-unit emergency response systems including an electronic monitoring system for exit doors
- On-site entertainment and activities personalized to reflect the residents’ preferences
- Housekeeping and linen services including personal laundry
Amenities you’ll find at Galloway Senior Living include:
- Country Café and Convenience Store
- Salon and Spa
- Theater with 85″ television
- Activity and Craft Center
- Game Room
- Library and Business Center
- Fitness Center
If you or your family is considering retirement living in Wadsworth, Illinois, we hope you will visit our community at Galloway Senior Living. We are a trusted resource and are here to answer any questions.