Has your family discovered the many benefits of senior living? Is there relief – and excitement – for your loved one to receive needed care while being supported to live a full and meaningful life?
If it’s time to choose a specific community, you’ll want to learn what to look for and which questions to ask even before you start scheduling tours. Whether your loved one needs assistance with daily tasks, support for memory care or opportunities for social activities, touring senior living can provide a glimpse of a community’s daily life.
Touring senior living communities: features to look for
1. A welcoming community
From the moment you arrive to tour a senior living community, your loved one and family should be made to feel at home – with a warm greeting by the front desk, friendly smiles from the residents and encouragement from the staff.
2. Caring interactions between the staff and residents
During the visit, pay attention to how easily people interact with each other. Do the residents appear comfortable, at ease and able to communicate their needs? Are staff members approachable, helpful and compassionate?
3. Residents who appear happy and feel at home
If possible, try to spend some time with a few residents while touring senior living. Are there stories they can share about living in the community? Do they have any tips or suggestions for how they settled in and made themselves at home?
4. A variety of floorplans to choose from
Look for the right floorplan that will best suit your loved one. When comparing options, consider what the most important elements are – a few possibilities could include the size of the space, large windows flooding the room with natural light or being located near the elevator.
5. Amenities and activities of interest
You’ll want to ensure there are several pursuits of interest your loved one would enjoy. Check out the amenities and the monthly calendar of events. If possible, arrange to participate in an activity along with the other residents.
6. Quality food and dining experience
Nourishing meals are essential to live well but so are the social opportunities they provide. Ask if your loved one can share a meal with the other residents when touring a senior living community. They’ll enjoy firsthand a few menu selections – and the camaraderie.
7. Opportunities for making new friendships
Loneliness and isolation can become more frequent for older adults and is detrimental to health. You’ll want to ensure your loved one will have several opportunities to easily meet the other residents and begin making friends.
8. Support for remaining independent
Older adults often express concern they will lose their independence if they leave their home. During your tour of senior living, ask the staff how they can help your loved one remain engaged and self-reliant.
Download our complimentary information, Family Decision Toolkit: How to Choose the Right Senior Living Community.
Questions to ask when touring a senior living community
Preparing a list of questions ahead of time can help your family understand how welcome and comfortable your loved one might feel living at the community. Along with discussing the costs and move-in details, answers to the following questions can guide your decision-making as well:
- What level and type of services are provided? Speak with the staff about the services available and if there is a level of care that cannot be accommodated.
- What is the staff-to-resident ratio? Knowing this ratio will provide insight into how responsive the staff can be when your loved one needs assistance.
- Who is on staff? Ask if a medical team will oversee the care of your loved one. Also, inquire about the type of training the staff receives.
- Is there a care plan for each resident and how is it created? Will your loved one have a care plan and how often will it be revisited or revised if needed?
- What type of activities are offered? While touring a senior living community, ask to see the monthly calendar of activities residents can choose from.
- What type of dining program is included? Discuss any assistance, special dietary needs, food preferences and if daily snacks are available.
- Are special therapies provided? Are there personalized programs that can be tailored to meet your loved one’s specific needs?
- How does the community help new residents feel welcome? Ask how the staff encourages their new residents to begin feeling at home.
- How is the community and residence secured? Are safety features in residences and personal alert systems provided? If touring memory care, discuss security design that prevents wandering.
- How is the family included and supported? Moving to senior living is also a transition for the family. How are they made to feel welcome and part of the community?
Retirement living in Waukegan, Illinois
Galloway Senior Living, locally owned and operated, provides luxury and quality care for families in our community.
Assisted Living at Galloway Senior Living offers beautiful and contemporary private residences that range from alcove studios to two-bedrooms and include high-end stainless-steel appliances, maple hardwood cabinets, cultured marble countertops and thoughtfully curated décor and colors.
Our Memory Care community offers a family kitchen, dining room, walking garden, and lounge.
Our services include:
- 24-hour certified nursing assistants, on-staff licensed nurses, medication management, and on-site physician visits
- COVID-19 safety protocols
- Assistance with daily tasks
- Readily available safe transportation
- A fall-reduction program
- In-unit emergency response systems including an electronic monitoring system for exit doors
- On-site entertainment and activities personalized to reflect the residents’ preferences
- Housekeeping and linen services including personal laundry
Amenities you’ll find at Galloway Senior Living include:
- Country Café and Convenience Store
- Salon and Spa
- Theater with 85” television
- Activity and Craft Center
- Game Room
- Library and Business Center
- Fitness Center
If you or your family is considering retirement living in Wadsworth, Illinois, we hope you will visit our community at Galloway Senior Living. We are a trusted resource and are here to answer any questions.
We also invite you to download our complimentary information, Family Decision Toolkit: How to Choose the Right Senior Living Community.