The journey to find the right assisted living community can be filled with uncertainty and might even feel overwhelming. But it doesn’t have to be.
You’ll find many options to choose from but the process doesn’t have to be daunting. Touring different assisted living communities with your loved one is the best way to determine first-hand if this could be home.
Knowing which elements to look for as well as what questions to ask will help your family make a well-informed decision that prioritizes your loved one’s well-being and quality of life.
The following information can help when it’s time to tour the communities you’re considering.
Touring an assisted living community: what to look for
While visiting a specific community, take note of these things. They can be signs of a community that will support your loved one in an enjoyable and enriched lifestyle:
- A warm and welcoming greeting upon arrival.
- A front entry and lobby that is inviting to visitors and guests.
- A staff who interact with the residents respectfully, patiently and compassionately.
- A variety of residence sizes and floor plans available.
- Encouragement for personalizing the chosen residence to make it home.
- Residents who seem to enjoy their community and the camaraderie.
- On-site amenities such as a library, fitness center, and movie theater.
- A monthly calendar of social events and interesting activities for residents.
- A dining area that encourages social interaction among residents.
Questions to ask when touring an assisted living community
Answers to these questions when touring an assisted living community can not only guide you in finding the best home for your loved one but also can also provide a simple way to compare and contrast different communities to determine which might be the right fit.
1. What is the staff-to-resident ratio?
This will help you better understand how responsive the staff might be when your loved one requires assistance or attention.
2. Is there a medical professional on staff?
Is a registered nurse on staff to oversee assessments and care needs? What is the policy for medication management?
3. Is an assessment conducted on new residents to determine care needs?
When touring an assisted living community, ask if your loved one will have an assessment and whether an individualized care plan will be created. If yes, how often are these plans reviewed and updated?
4. What type of assistive services are offered?
Confirm the type of assistance available and ensure that it covers the needs of your loved one – both currently and possibly in the near future – to avoid another move.
5. Are there physical or cognitive needs that cannot be accommodated?
It’s important to understand any behaviors or conditions that the community can’t accommodate and the community’s process if your loved one’s health needs change.
6. Is there an engaging monthly calendar of events available?
Boredom can greatly influence health and well-being. When touring an assisted living community, make sure there are several activities of interest for your loved one.
7. How are new residents encouraged to feel a part of the community?
Moving to assisted living will typically take a little time to adjust. Ask how the community helps new residents to feel at home, meet others and begin to participate.
8. How are families involved in the care of their loved one?
Will family members receive regular updates on their loved one and be encouraged to discuss any concerns? Is the community helpful in providing suggestions? Also, ask about visiting policies and if there are any restrictions for families.
Tips for finding the right assisted living community
When touring assisted living communities, remember that you are searching for much more than just a place for your loved one to live. Determining the community most likely to help them feel at home – and thrive – is key.
Finding the right community can take a little time, patience and research. But you’ll also want to pay attention to your intuition. These feelings can often be trusted as you know your loved one better than anyone else.
With a clear understanding of what to look for and discussing preferences with your parent, you’ll know you’re headed in the right direction.
Retirement living in Wadsworth, Illinois
Galloway Senior Living, locally owned and operated, provides luxury and quality care for families in our community.
Assisted Living at Galloway Senior Living offers beautiful and contemporary private residences that range from alcove studios to two-bedrooms and include high-end stainless-steel appliances, maple hardwood cabinets, cultured marble countertops and thoughtfully curated décor and colors.
Our Memory Care community offers a family kitchen, dining room, walking garden, and lounge.
Our services include:
- 24-hour certified nursing assistants, on-staff licensed nurses, medication management, and on-site physician visits
- COVID-19 safety protocols
- Assistance with daily tasks
- Readily available safe transportation
- A fall-reduction program
- In-unit emergency response systems including an electronic monitoring system for exit doors
- On-site entertainment and activities personalized to reflect the residents’ preferences
- Housekeeping and linen services including personal laundry
Amenities you’ll find at Galloway Senior Living include:
- Country Café and Convenience Store
- Salon and Spa
- Theater with 85” television
- Activity and Craft Center
- Game Room
- Library and Business Center
- Fitness Center
If you or your family is considering retirement living in Wadsworth, Illinois, we hope you will visit our community at Galloway Senior Living. We are a trusted resource and are here to answer any questions.
We also invite you to download our complimentary information, Family Decision Toolkit: How to Choose the Right Senior Living Community.